We like to tell ourselves that we’re “Juice People”. You know — the health-conscious, gym-going, dewy-eyed bunch who have so many saintly vegetables inside them at all times that their veins have taken on a glowing greenish tinge. These were the lofty dreams I envisioned when I bought the hulking contraption a year ago. Ha. If only. I’m lucky if I juice once a week…Okay every-other week. Okay like maybe even less than that.
I’ve come to resent the beast. As a proclaimed kitchen minimalist my biggest enemies are: 1) things that do only one thing and 2) bulky items that take up a lot of real estate in my tiny apartment kitchen. THIS CURSED JUICER IS BOTH OF THOSE THINGS.
In a last-ditch effort to save my relationship with said juicer I’ve tried to invent more ways to use it so we can be friends again. Carrot-juiced glazed gnocchi anyone? Maybe some highly concentrated ginger-juice kombucha? Like a couple going to therapy I tried to spice up our routine, bringing us ultimately to what has rekindled my affections: HEALTHY JUICE + BOOZE. (I should’ve known that would be the answer all along.)
This brunch-lovin’, summer-feelin’, not-too-sweet and oh-so-virtuous celery imbibement is my current favorite cocktail child. It keeps you happy AND hydrated. If you’re like me and not a big bloody mary fan and find most mimosas way too sweet — here is your answer for pre-afternoon cocktail time.
There’s so much green goodness in here it’s basically liquid salad. Herbaceous celery, the hydrating gush of cucumber, sweet-tart apple and the tiny bite of assertive ginger whirl together in a sip that is the definition of refreshing. Who’s dewy-eyed now? 😉
Tequila & Salad Cocktail
For the Green Juice: (yields about 30 ounces)
- 1 large English cucumber
- 1 bunch celery
- 1 large green apple
- 1 thumb-sized nub fresh ginger
For Each Cocktail:
- 1/2 small lime juiced
- 6 dashes celery bitters may sub citrus or herbal bitters but I love celery bitters(!!)
- 1.5 ounces tequila may sub vodka or gin
- 4-6 ounces green juice
- tonic water for topping optional
- celery sticks for garnish
Juice all the things with your fancy juicer.
For the cocktail:
Fill a tall pretty glass with a handful of ice.
Add lime juice, tequila, and bitters.
Pour in green juice. Give everything a friendly stir, taste and adjust to your liking.
Top off with a splash of tonic water (optional) and garnish with a celery stick.
Ta-Daaaa. All done.
- YOU NEED A JUICER FOR THIS RECIPE!
- The green juice MUST be made as fresh as possible!!! This is not a make ahead kinda deal. Any fresh juice looses its potency and vibrancy very quickly.
- If you want a spicier bite juice a jalapeno in with the rest of the greens.
- You could absolutely jazz this up with a sugar & celery salt rim.
- Brunch Time? Pair these lovely dranks with Brussels Egg Nests & breakfast sausages!