Kiwi is the super cool, totally unique, ready to party girl from New Zealand. She’s bubbly, fresh, vibrant. Gets along just swimmingly with earthy Mezcal and Parisian flower-child St. Germain. They’re pretty much besties — and you should invite them all to your next party.
The ‘Smash’ is a type of cocktail that requires ice, fruit, and alcohol. It doesn’t need to be shaken. Everything is poured right into the glass, which is exciting when you just want to enjoy Friday night and not dirty extra dishes. (Especially since I’m already making you blend the kiwi. Not optional. But you can make it ahead. Compromise. Yay.)
If you’ve never tried mezcal, tequila’s smoldering sister, then this is an ideal place to start. The kiwi and lime lift up the smokiness while elderflower politely shoulders in alongside to create a well-rounded, highly quaffable drink. The little bite of seeds as they mingle amidst the shards of ice are just the frosting on the donut.
Kiwi Mezcal Smash
For the Kiwi Base:
- 5 ripe kiwis
- 1/2 cup lime juice from 5-6 limes
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
For one Cocktail:
- 1.5 ounces St-Germian elderflower liqueur
- 1.5 ounces Mezcal (if you're mezcal-shy, sub half or all tequila)
- 3.0 ounces kiwi-lime syrup
- dash of bitters pick one with flowery or spicy notes to go with the flavors
- crushed ice
- sugar, salt, chile powder for the rim, optional
For the Kiwi Base:
Peel the kiwis with a vegetable peeler and quarter. Place in a food processor or blender and blend til smooth. Pour into quart sized measuring cup or something similar (spout is what it's all about). You should have about a cup of kiwi puree.
Add the lime juice and stir.
In a small saucepan melt the sugar and water to a simple syrup. Let cool a little. Stir into the puree.
For the Cocktail:
If you have a crushed ice dispenser option, horay for you. If not, fill a gallon-sized plastic baggie with ice, cover with a kitchen towel, and smash it with a meat mallet. It's just as fun as it sounds.
Eyeball and mix equal parts salt, sugar, chili powder in small shallow plate. Wet the lip of a rocks glass with lime, and turn about in the plate to lightly coat.
Fill the glass about 2/3 full with crushed ice. Add a few dashes bitters. Pour the alcohols and kiwi-lime puree in. Give it a stir, a straw, and a sip. Enjoy!
- Trader Joe's makes a Chili Lime Salt spice blend that is perfect for the rim.
- Those adorable straws can be found here.
- The kiwi-lime base is delicious with kombucha for a fun de-hootched quencher.
- The kiwi-lime base can be made a day or two ahead and refrigerated. Kiwi seeds have a knack for keeping their beautiful crackle.
- Goes great with Mexican Street Corn Deviled Eggs